Saturday, July 26, 2008

Virtual Vacation: Local Food III


I'm back in Portland today and figured I'd better brag about the best local food going: Chuck Hinton's Cannon Rib Express. You find varying reviews of this BBQ if you Google them and I break the commentators down into two groups: those that have had, and enjoy, good BBQ, and those that haven't and/or don't. You just can't do better as far as I'm concerned--the ribs and chicken slow cooked over mesquite at the steel shack on NE 33rd Avenue melt in your mouth. The side dishes are small but good. He throws in a pile of white bread for good measure. The hot BBQ sauce is spicy, so if you aren't sure, get the mild with hot on the side--he'll give you plenty. The smell permeates the area and I'm sure it ups the sales at New Season's Market that shares a parking lot. People walk into New Season's, mouths watering, and walk out with carts full of food. Even vegans and vegetarians lift their noses into the air and sniff.

One of the best thing about Chuck's is it also shares a parking lot with Walgreen Drugs...

2 comments:

Karen said...

OMG. Why didn't I know about this BBQ? I have to go the next time I'm in town!

Ronna said...

I can almost smell those ribs! Great description. Great virutal vacation food (at least I can't gain weight from a blog...or can I?)